• ca. 560 BC

    The aqueduct begins being built. Approximately 15 years after the completion, the clay pipes in the tunnel were cut away at the top to ease the cleaning operation of the pipeline.

  • ca. 460 BC

    Herodotus refers to Eupalinos’ tunnel when visiting Samos.
    During Roman times repairs are made employing stone walls with plaster and barrel-vaulted roof.

  • 7th c. AD

    The tunnel caters for a refuge, possibly during the Arab raids. The pipeline ceases to function due to silting and the structure is since abandoned.

  • 1853

    French archaeologist V. Guérin locates and excavates part of the subterranean conduit, but fails to locate the tunnel. This is discovered some years later by a local monk.

  • 1882

    The first attempts to clean and restore to working order the water channel are abandoned. A small building is erected on the southern entrance of the tunnel.

  • 1883

    Archaeologist E. Fabricius of DAI, surveys the tunnel, publishes his work and renders the aqueduct known to the academic community and the public.

  • 1884

    Greek archaeologist E. Stamatiadis, publishes an article «Περί του εν Σάμω ορύγματος του Ευπαλίνου», commenting on the discovery.

  • 1971-1973

    DAI Director, U. Jantzen, excavates and researches the tunnel.

  • Late 1970’s

    H. Kienast undertakes the project of documentation and publication of the aqueduct, concluded 20 years later.

  • 1980’s

    The site opens to the public.

  • 1992

    The site is designated as World Heritage Site.

  • 2011

    A study to render the site visitable from one end to another passes the Central Archaeological Council control, and awaits for its implementation.

Next: Credits / Resources